Relevant Professional Roles
Australian Catholic University
- National Head of School, School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine
University of Wollongong
- Director UOW Wollongong Academy of Tertiary Teaching and Learning Excellence (WATTLE)
- Academic Secondee – Australian Office for Learning and Teaching Transforming Practice Programme; and Professor, School of Nursing 2001 – present.
- Dean, Faculty of Health & Behavioural Sciences, 2006 – 2013.
- Visiting Professor, University of Huddersfield, UK. 2010 – 2015.
- Visiting Professor, University of Stavanger, Norway. 2012 – 2015.
- Acting Dean, Faculty of Health & Behavioural Sciences. 2005 – 2006.
- Head, School of Nursing, Midwifery & Indigenous Health. 1999 – 2011.
- Promoted to Professor 2001. Associate Professor 1999 – 2001.
- Senior Lecturer 1996 -1999.
The University of Sheffield
- Lecturer and UG degree coordinator, Dept. of Acute and Critical Care Nursing
University of Sydney
- Lecturer in Nursing, First year and Undergraduate coordinator
Wakefield School of Nursing
Grants, Awards and other Funding
- 2015. Appointed a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy UK – one of circa 350 such appointees out globally.
- 2007. Carrick Citation for ‘Outstanding Contributions to Student learning –Refining the research skills required by health professionals from ability to ‘do research’ to capabilities in research appreciation and application’, $10,000
Leadership, capacity building and project management funding
- Crookes, PA. (2013-15) Commonwealth of Australia, Office for Learning and Teaching Secondee. Project: To develop, pilot and evaluate an effective model of change for use in the Australian HE sector (subsequently known as the Transforming Practice Programme or TPP) $232,000. An extension grant of $85,000 was received in 2016 to complete this project in 2016.
- Fleming, R. Crookes, PA. & Traynor, V. (2010-2013). ‘NSW/ACT Dementia Training & Study Centre’, Department of Health & Ageing, $2.24 million
- Crookes, PA. (2006-2009). ‘Project Coordinator, DTSC Project Coordination Group’, Department of Health & Ageing, $210,000
- Crookes, PA. Traynor, V. Abbey, J. Rees, L. & Fleming, R. (2006-2009). ‘Eastern Australia Dementia Training and Study Centre’, Department of Health & Ageing, $3.4 million
- Crookes, PA. and Else, FC. (2014) UOW funds to develop a system to rank educationally focused journals in higher education, $5000
- Crookes, PA. Smith, K. Else, F, and Crookes, E.K. (2012) UOW funds to develop an Academic Performance Framework, $60, 000
- Parrish, D. Crookes, PA. Joyce-McCoach, J. & Daga, R. (2012). University Internationalisation Committee Award Programme. Project: Developing a set of Learning and Teaching Standards for e-learning, $10,000
- Crookes, PA. & Brown, RA. (2011). Health Workforce Australia funding to pilot and implement the Nursing Competency Assessment Schedule across Australian universities, $560,000.
- Crookes, PA. & Brown, RA. (2008). ‘The development of an undergraduate nursing competency assessment schedule (NCAS) for use across Australian Universities’ UoW, Curtin U Tech, QUT, U Tech Syd, UniSA, ALTC Grant cd7-523, $225,665
- Jones, SJ. Crookes, PA. & Brewer, C. (2006). ‘Development of a ranking of refereed journals in which Australian & New Zealand nursing and midwifery researchers publish their work’, Council of Deans of Nursing and Midwifery (Australia & New Zealand), $30,000
- Crookes, PA. Traynor, V. Rees, L. & Jones, SJ. (2006-07). ‘Internationalisation Agenda:
- Dementia Research and Education’ University of Stirling, UK and University of Bradford, UK. UIC International Links Grants Scheme, $8,020
- Lockyer, L. Bennett, S. Agostinho, S. Crookes, PA. Butler, G. LeFoe, G. Pennell, R. & Brewer, C. (2006). ‘Case-based Learning Designs for Medical and Nursing Education’ University of Wollongong Teaching and Learning Fund, $31,000
- McCann, TV. Crookes, PA. Moxon, L. Usher, K. & Farrell, G. (2005). ‘Identifying the Mental Health content of Australian pre-registration nursing curricula’ DoHA Grant $175,000
- Harris, M. Zwar, N. Crookes, PA. Perkins, D. Proudfoot, J. & Powell-Davies, G. (2005- 2009). ‘Outcomes of multidisciplinary care in general practice’ Australian Health Ministers Advisory Council (AHMAC) Grant, $450,000
- Harris, M. Proudfoot, J. Beilby, J. Crookes, PA. Meredith, G. & Black, D. (2005 – 2007). ‘Trial of structured support to enhance the role of non-GP staff in chronic disease management in general’, National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Grant, $768,000
Infrastructure project funding
- Brown, AM. & Crookes, PA. in conjunction with Coast City Country Training (2011). Health Workforce Australia funding for Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Teaching Space within Shoalhaven Super Clinic $1 million
- Brown, AM. & Crookes, PA. (2011). Health Workforce Australia funding to build and operate a Clinical Simulation Laboratory at UoW $1.8 million
- Brown, AM. & Crookes, PA. (2011). Health Workforce Australia funding to support Increasing Clinical Placement Capacity in Nursing $565, 000
- Brown, AM. & Crookes, PA. (2010.) Department of Health and Ageing funding to support Increasing Clinical Placement Capacity in Nursing $600, 000
Publications (last five years)
- Crookes, P.A., Walsh, K. D. & Outram, S. (2015). Processes of change in bureaucratic environments. In E. Chang & J. Daly (Eds.), Transitions in Nursing: Preparing for Professional Practice (pp. 89-106). Chatswood, Australia: Elsevier Publishing Co
- Crookes, PA. Walsh, K. Brown, AM. & Knight, S. (2012). ‘Processes of change in bureaucratic environments’ in Chang, E and Daly, J. Transitions in Nursing. 3rd Edition (pp. 95-110) Elsevier, Australia
- Crookes, PA. Smith, KM. Else, F. Crookes, EK. (2016) Articulating performance expectations for scholarship at an Australian regional university’ 22 (1) Tertiary Education and Management 82-97.
- Brown, R.A. Crookes, P.A. (2016). What are the ‘necessary’ skills for a newly graduating RN? Results of an Australian survey. BMC Nursing, 15:23 (April)
- Brown, R. A. & Crookes, P. A. (2016). How do expert clinicians assess student nurses competency during workplace experience? A modified nominal group approach to devising a guidance package. Collegian: The Australian Journal of Nursing Practice, Scholarship and Research, Online First, Feb 18 2016
- Brown, A. Crookes, PA. & Dewing, J. (2016). Clinical leadership development in a pre-registration nursing curriculum: what the profession has to say about it. Nurse Education Today, 36 105-111.
- Brown, R. A., Crookes, P. A. & Iverson, D. (2015). An audit of skills taught in registered nursing preparation programmes in Australia. BMC Nursing, 14 (December), 68-1-68-8.
- Crookes, PA., Else, FC. & Smith, KM. (2015). The MaTE Tool – Enabling engaged scholars at a regional university. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship, in press.
- Crookes, PA., Else, FC. & Smith, KM. (2015) Embedding the Scholarship of Engagement at a Regional University. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, in press.
- Else, F. & Crookes, P. (2015). The online presence of teaching and learning within Australian university websites. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 37(4), 363-373.
- Smith, KM., Brown, A. & Crookes, PA (2015). History as reflective practice: a model for integrating historical studies into nurse education. Collegian, 22(3), 341- 347.
- Smith, K. M., Else, F. & Crookes, PA. (2014). Engagement and academic promotion: a review of the literature. Higher Education Research and Development, 33 (4), 836-847.
- Kishi, Y., Inoue, K., Crookes, PA. & Shorten, A. (2014). A model of adaptation of overseas nurses: exploring the experiences of Japanese nurses working in Australia. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 25 (2), 183-191.
- Liu, L. -M., Curtis, J. & Crookes, PA. (2014). Identifying essential infection control competencies for newly graduated nurses: a three-phase study in Australia and Taiwan. Journal of Hospital Infection, 86 (2), 100-109.
- Al-Sagarat, A., Moxham, L., Curtis, J. & Crookes, PA. (2014). The perceptions of the ward atmosphere in four Jordanian psychiatric hospitals from the perspective of patients’ relatives. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 50(4), 287-293.
- Crookes, K., Crookes, PA. & Walsh, K. (2013). Meaningful and engaging teaching techniques for student nurses: a literature review. Nurse Education in Practice, 13 (4), 239-243.
- Smith, KM. Crookes, EK. & Crookes, PA. (2013). Measuring research ‘impact’ for academic promotion: issues from the literature, Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 35 (4), 410-420.
- Coombs, T. Crookes, PA. & Curtis, J. (2013). ‘A comprehensive mental health nursing assessment: variability of content in practice’, Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 20(2), 150-155.
- Coombs, T. Curtis, J. & Crookes, PA. (2013). What is the process of a comprehensive mental health nursing assessment? Results from a qualitative study. International Nursing Review, 60 (1), 96-102.
- Black, D. A., Taggart, J., Jayasinghe, U. W., Proudfoot, J., Crookes, PA., Beilby, J., Powell-Davis, G., Wilson, L. A. & Harris, M. F. (2013). The teamwork study: enhancing the role of non-GP staff in chronic disease management in general practice. Australian Journal of Primary Health, 19 (3), 184-189.
- Brown, RA. Guinea, S. Crookes, PA. McAllister, M. Levett-Jones, T. Kelly, M. Reid- Searl, K. Churchouse, C. Andersen, P. Chong, N. & Smith, A. (2012). Clinical simulation in Australia and New Zealand: through the lens of an advisory group, Collegian, 19, 177-186.
- Smith, KM. Crookes, PA. Else, F. & Crookes, E. (2012). Scholarship Reconsidered: Implications for reward and recognition of academic staff in schools of nursing and beyond. Journal of Nursing Management, 20, 144-151.
- Smith, KM. & Crookes, PA. (2012). The Study of Nursing Care Project: Back to the future for contemporary nursing research? Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68 (11) 2586-2593.
- Al-Sagarat, A., Crookes, PA. & Moxham, L. J. (2012). Perceptions of ward atmosphere: a case study of four Jordanian mental health facilities. Australian Nursing Journal, 20 (2), 44.
- Smith, KM. & Crookes, PA. (2011). Reconsidering scholarship: implications for reward and recognition of academic staff. In I. Dobson, M. Conway & R. Sharma (Eds.), 2011 Tertiary Education Management Conference (TEMC): Refereed Papers (pp. 101-112). Melbourne Australia: TEMC.
- Smith, KM. & Crookes, PA. (2011). Rethinking Scholarship: Implications for the nursing academic workforce. Nurse Education Today, 31(3), 228-230.
- Joyce-McCoach, J. & Crookes, PA. (2011). Measuring ‘magnetism’ in Australian nursing environments. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, 29 (2), 13-22.
- Traynor, V., Inoue, K. & Crookes, PA. (2011). Literature review: understanding nursing competence in dementia care. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20 (13-14), 1948- 1960.
- Moxham, L. J., McCann, T., Usher, K., Farrell, G. & Crookes, PA. (2011). Mental health nursing education in preregistration nursing curricula: a national report. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 20 (4), 232-236.
- Coombs, T., Curtis, J. & Crookes, PA. (2011). What is a comprehensive mental health nursing assessment? A review of the literature. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 20 (5), 364-370.
- Harris, M. F., Jayasinghe, U. W., Chan, B. C., Proudfoot, J., Crookes, PA., Zwar, N. & Davies, G. Powell. (2011). Patient and practice characteristics predict the frequency of general practice multidisciplinary referrals of patients with chronic diseases: a multilevel study. Health Policy, 101 (2), 140-145.
- Taggart, J., Chan, B., Jayashighe, U. W., Christl, B., Proudfoot, J., Crookes, PA., Beilby, J., Black, D. & Harris, M. F. (2011). Patients assessment of chronic illness care (PACIC) in two Australian studies: structure and utility. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 17 (2), 215-221.
- Elliott, M., Crookes, PA., Worrall-Carter, L. & Page, K. (2011). Readmission to intensive care: a qualitative analysis of nurses’ perceptions and experiences. Heart and Lung: the journal of acute and critical care, 40 (4), 299-309.
- Jones, S. C., Crookes, PA. & Johnson, K. M. (2011). Teaching critical appraisal skills for nursing research. Nurse Education in Practice, 11 (5), 327-332.